By Shayna Mace | Photography by Shanna Wolf
Back when Zoe Schuler managed a local shoe store, she loved being able to wear the shop’s shoes and accessories to feature them for customers. But frustratingly, she couldn’t purchase any of the clothing the shop had — none of it was plus size.
“About 70% of women in the U.S. are plus size. I kept thinking, ‘There has to be somewhere [local] I can shop at. And if I’m thinking that, then I’m sure other women around here want that too,’” explains Schuler.
In 2013, Schuler opened Z Boutique, the area’s only plus-size boutique. The comfortable, upbeat space has been a haven for women seeking non fast-fashion items for all occasions from casual to dressy.
Schuler admits initially it was challenging to find plus-size brands that would sell to an independent boutique — but she’s since built a solid repertoire of labels she and her customers love.
“When [new customers] come in there’s a sense of relief — everything here fits,” says Schuler.
6108 Mineral Point Rd., z.boutique
SHOP THE LOOK
Clockwise, starting at top left:
- Pair this Cotton Bleu faux leather shirt with a dress or jeans. $72
- Schuler says Thunderpants’ uber-comfortable underwear are a top seller. $24-$26
- This Cotton Bleu sparkly top adds a dash of dazzle to an ensemble. $74
- Think beyond black boots and pick up Alegria’s Rowen style in white. $149.95
- Karen Kane’s soft sweater is winter-ready. $119
- Judy Blue’s hemmed boot-cut slit jeans are a trendy favorite this season. $69