By Shelby Rowe Moyer | Photography by Hillary Schave
Information about the fashion industry’s detrimental effect on the planet has paved the way for an ever-blooming array of earth-friendly fashion, like shopping for resale items, which is gentler on the planet. Plus, what would otherwise be a $200 purchase brand new can easily be a $10 bargain find.
You can build a high-powered wardrobe without the hefty price tag and environmental impact. Here’s what to look for.
SILK SHIRTS & VINTAGE TEES
Silk shirts are a great layering item under blazers, sweaters, vests and cardigans, and flawlessly tuck into trousers and skirts because of the light, flowy material. Resale shops are a great place to find killer T-shirts. Use them for an elevated casual look, like we did here.
Focus on quality when shoe shopping. Leather tends to hold up better and can more easily be mended and repolished. Keep an eye out for Enzo Angiolini leather loafers and Franco Sarto heels and flats.
Tie them in a bow or in a simple knot (so that the tails hang down) for a breezy, sophisticated look. They’re also beautiful tied to a leather handbag.
BLAZERS AND OVERCOATS
Blazers and coats made with 100% wool fibers are plentiful on the resale market (as are wool sweaters, so keep your eyes peeled for those, too). You’re also more likely to find a wider range of colors, patterns and sizes.
You’re more likely to find these at antique shops than thrift stores, but keep your eye out. Dress up a casual outfit by affixing one to a blazer lapel or at the neck of a button-down shirt.
- Silk scarf, $6, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- vintage concert tee, $12, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- men’s vintage wool trousers, $34, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- leather belt, $18, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- Rothschild’s lavender coat, $39, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- Bed | Stu wingtip loafers, $40, Stillgood’s Madison, stillgoodsmadison.com
- flying bird brooch, $16, Good Style Shop, goodstyleshop.com