[byline] By Rachel Werner | Photo credit: Tyler Leiby for Wanderlust Festival
Is your fitness motivation in need of a refresh? There’s more than one way to put a body in motion and a fit vacation is an adventurous remedy to achieving wellness goals. And these options prove getting going may be easier than you think.
- Hit the trails: There are over 8,000 health and fitness apps available on the market, and it’s believed that just over half of mobile phone users in the US have downloaded at least one. So switch on Strava or Map My Run to log miles and steps along Ice Age or Glacial Drumlin’s scenic paths.
- Take a Road Trip: According to info tracked by 10 million Fitbit 10 users, the fittest cities in the US in 2017 were: #1) Duluth, Minnesota; #2) Appleton; #3) Eau Claire.
(*Fun fact = Madison ranked 6th!)
- Try a Tri: Even if running, biking or swimming isn’t a fave activity, completing a triathlon may still be within reach thanks to the Wanderlust 108 series. Heralded as the first “mindfulness” triathlon, participants complete a 5K before hitting their mats for back-to-back yoga and mediation sessions. And the experience keeps on rolling with optional acroyoga, aerial yoga and hooping workshops in the afternoon. Head up to the Twin Cities to catch the next event on June 30.
- Cross the Bay: Accessible to novices and pros alike, the Midwest Stand Up Paddleboard Racing Series features a variety of family-friendly competitions throughout the summer such as Washburn Board Across the Bay which includes 3, 7, or the 14-mile course options.
- Pedal On: Spend one or two days cycling through rural countryside in Wisconsin Bike Fed’s annual two-wheel jaunt, RAW (Ride Across Wisconsin). This year’s event begins on August 11 in Dubuque, Iowa with 175 or 105 mile routes leading toward Kenosha.