By Shayna Mace | Photography by Shanna Wolf
Although its lush environs are known as a popular tourist destination for Madisonians and out-of-towners, Olbrich Botanical Gardens also has another wow-worthy stop — its gift shop.
“We bring our gardens into the gift shop through the products — and visitors can take home a piece of the gardens with them too,” explains store manager Sarah Wilcox.
Wilcox says the merchandise for the most part fits three themes: fair trade, locally produced and garden accessories. Wisconsin-based artist Kim Russell’s prints and cards showcase Midwestern wildlife. Gail Ambrosius Chocolatier’s offerings tempt shoppers with sweet delights. Gorgeous resin and wood jewelry by artist Nhi Nguyen (who lives near Olbrich) adds a fun punctuation to any look. An array of Olbrich-themed items (T-shirts, glasses) also line the shelves. Small planters and gardening supplies are aplenty, as are adorable kids’ toys and games.
“The people that shop here love to support the gardens however they can,” says Wilcox. “It’s a joyful space.” 3330 Atwood Ave., olbrich.org/visit/giftshop.cfm
SHOP THE LOOK
- DZI’s Wild Woolies felt birdhouses come in a variety of designs. $42-$48
- Quilling Cards are meticulously handcrafted using a traditional Vietnamese technique. $12
- Kim Russell’s prints and cards feature Midwest wildlife, such as cranes and hummingbirds. $5.95-$42
- Envision Positive’s resin dragonfruit earrings will brighten any day. $24
- These felt finger puppets (or pencil toppers) are fair trade and produced in Nepal. $12