By Shayna Mace | Photography by Shanna Wolf
Morgann Boettner understands what goes into crafting a lasting, high-quality piece. After earning her degree in fashion merchandising, design and production at Iowa State University, she worked for an Iowa-based manufacturer with clients including Harley-Davidson, where she crafted technical and heavy-duty clothing and bags. As a side hustle eight years ago, she started A Well Worn Story, an online custom leather handbag and tote business, to fulfill her creative side.
In 2017 A Well Worn Story became her full-time gig, and in 2021, she opened a shop with her husband, Tim, in New Glarus. The historic 1900s building is gorgeous, which complements the timelessness of her bags and totes.
Pick up a bag at the shop or order a semi-custom creation by selecting the type of bag, leather or fabric color, and strap choice. Bags are done in four to six weeks.
“It’s fun to meet the local people that stop in, and this space serves as a wonderful physical representation of our brand,” says Boettner.
538 1st St., New Glarus, wellwornstory.com
SHOP THE LOOK
Clockwise, starting at top left:
- The Wood Cycle’s handsome walnut cheese board is made right outside of Madison. $55
- These stamped leather bracelets are a ruggedly cool add-on to an outfit. $22
- The brand’s Everyday Tote is a perennial best seller. $295
- Show your Wisco pride in a retro pennant. $26
- Boettner says she carries her Everyday Backpack, well, every day. $195