By Shayna Mace | Photography by Shanna Wolf
A bee hive is known for its buzzy activity, and on a Friday in early April, Hive of Madison on Monroe Street had a similar energy, with customers milling about and lively conversations taking place. It felt (almost) like things are back to normal here. It’s a good sign.
Co-owners and wife and husband Pam Schwarzbach and Troy Kattreh opened the lifestyle boutique three and a half years ago, and the Monroe Street location was purposeful.
“I’ve lived in this area for 30 years, and there’s such a vibrancy here — it was one of the only locations we would’ve considered in Madison,” explains Schwarzbach.
Carrying popular brands Fjällräven, Arc’teryx, Birkenstock, Patagonia and more, the shop’s clothing and accessories have an active bent — but with street-style cred. It fits our current desire for comfortable clothing suited for a busy day that’s still presentable and polished for Zoom calls — and eventually, outings with friends again.
“This past year has really made people appreciate the value of walking into a local shop they love and supporting them,” says Schwarzbach.
1904 Monroe St., Madison, hiveofmadison.com
SHOP THE LOOK
Shown above, clockwise starting at top left:
- Boring shirt, begone! This Toad & Co. pick spices up his wardrobe. $65
- Fjällräven’s unisex bags are durable, stylish, come in fun colors and are up for any adventure you take them on. $35
- Nat + Noor’s Mali resin hoops bring an artsy edge to any ensemble. Mother’s Day find, anyone? $25
- We love Vuori’s Ripstop women’s pants for their enviable comfort — and this fresh coral shade. Cuff ’em with sneakers. $89
- Excellent for a walk, bike ride or just shopping, this Kavu cross- body handbag equals hands-free ease. $35
- Birkenstock’s Arizona sandals are the brand’s signature style — shown here in a sleek copper rubber. $45
- For the minimalist, Thread’s elastic card holder snugly hugs cards and money with a dash of panache. $16